1) Town of Taos Council Emergency Meeting tomorrow, 10/21/09 – Executive Session only concerning potential airport Environmental Impact Study (EIS) potential litigation and its possible resolution through negotiation of a memorandum of agreement; no Council action to be taken outside of this Executive Session. Agenda attached.
2) Town of Taos Gross Receipts Taxes (GRT) through August, 2009 year-over-year are down 9.43%. There is a two month delay in receipt/reporting so August are the Town’s latest numbers. As previously reported, this percentage decrease for GRT in the Town is certainly not good, but using this data as a comparative baseline the Town is faring better than other visitor destinations in the U.S. which are down 30-50% in many cases. The base GRT received by the Town of Taos for its operations on an annual basis is approximately $11-12 million. The Town anticipated such GRT short-falls and began managing its budget accordingly over a year ago.
3) Benefit the Taos Public Library’s planned expansion and also get a great gift of music for yourself or others over the holidays for only $5. “Love Songs”, a CD produced in Taos is now only $5, plus tax. It features wonderful cover artwork and images by Taos visual artists, and songs by Taos performers Colin Brooks, Jenny Gird, Manzanares, Alan Vetter, Sara K, Don Conoscenti, Roanne Lewis, Mike Laughlin, Nosotros, Billy D and the HooDoos, Jared Mell, Anna Wolfe, Ashley Rinaes, Bogey, Norman Liota and The Rifters. Available via mail (just email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact info.; she’ll then call to get your charge card info.) or get copies at the Town of Taos Town Hall utility window, Taos Visitor Center, the Southside Bean, Taos Public Library, Mobey Dickens Bookstore, or Taos Mountain Candle. Bookbags now $5 too at the Taos Public Library – only a final few left.
4) 13th Annual Children’s Halloween Party – The Taos Youth & Family Center will be hosting the 13th Annual Children’s Halloween Party on Saturday, October 24, 2009 from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM at the Taos Convention Center. The party will provide the children of Taos with a fun, safe and supervised event. Everyone is welcome and admission is FREE! The first 750 children will also receive a free Halloween bag filled with treats and goodies. There will also be various carnival games with prizes for children that participate. Proceeds will benefit youth and community groups through out Taos. There will be lots of games, lots of prizes and a whole lot of fun! There will be a costume contest for each of four age groups. Prizes will be awarded to the child with the Most Original Costume, Funniest Costume and Best Costume. Children ages 2 and under will be judged at 2:30 PM, 3-5 year olds at 3:15 PM, 6-8 year olds at 4:00 PM, and 9-12 year olds at 4:45 PM. Don’t forget the haunted house! During the party it will be appropriate for younger children, the cost will be $4.00 per person. The Taos Tiger Varsity Cheerleaders will be helping us this year to bring to life the “Terror On Civic Plaza Drive” haunted house. Be prepared to be scared at the “Terror On Civic Plaza Drive” haunted house with extra spooky hours on Saturday, October 24th from 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM. On this night everyone is welcome, but it may not be appropriate for children under age 12! Victims brave enough to enter “Terror On Civic Plaza Drive” will go on a tour of one of the most chilling and creepy haunted houses in Taos. It will be scary but don’t take it from me, come check it out yourself. The Taos Tiger Varsity Cheerleaders will be bringing the fright to life at “Terror On Civic Plaza Drive”. The cost is $4.00 per person. For more information Judy A. Esquibel, Taos Youth & Family Center, Special Events Coordinator, Phone: 575-758-4160 or 575-737-2643, e-mail: email@example.com.
5) High Country History Magazine and its associated website is participating in the Taos 2010 “Return to Sacred Places” theme. A special edition keying off of this theme, with a year-long shelf life, will feature historical stories and will help define many sacred places in the Taos area which we will be celebrating during 2010. If you have interest in contributing to this effort, contact Jess Heald, 575-758-8125, firstname.lastname@example.org.
6) Celebrate 10 years of serving Taos County youth with the Boys & Girls Club of Northern New Mexico. Attend a breakfast honoring those who have been “Champions of Youth” throughout the community. Sagebrush Inn Convention Center in Taos. Thursday, November 5, 2009 from 7:00—9:00am. Breakfast is complimentary and donations are welcomed. Honorees: Mardoqueo Chacon—Peñasco/Picuris Pueblo Area, Robert Mirabal (wife Dawn accepting) - Taos Pueblo, Jake Mossman—Taos, Malaquias Rael—Questa, Dr. Sylvia Villarreal—Taos. Youth of the Year: Manuel Sanchez. RSVP to Susan Crowley by October 28. email@example.com or 575-758-8785.
Cathy Connelly, Public Relations Director
Town of Taos
400 Camino de la Placita
Taos, NM 87571
|10-21-09 emergency meeting.doc
44K View as HTML Open as a Google document Download
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.